- What We Do
- Community Impact
- The Community Fund
- Supporting Our Agencies
- Strength Investments
- Meeting House
- Community Leadership Resources
- Research & Reports
- My United Way
- About Us
The 10th Annual Toromont CAT Dragon Boat Festival in support of United Way York Region takes place on Saturday, August 17, 2013.
A must-attend summer activity, the Toromont CAT Dragon Boat Festival in support of United Way York Region, is a friendly competition of canoe racing among a cross-section of the region’s business community. Supporters, representing various industries, come out to play and paddle in this annual race.
Dragon Boats are the world’s largest flat water racing canoes, propelled by individual crews of 20 paddlers, a drummer and a steersperson. Synchronicity is more important than strength, as paddlers move in unison combining strength with teamwork.
2013 Toromont CAT Dragon Boat Festival in support of United Way York Region:
Date: Saturday, August 17, 2013
Location: Seneca College, King Campus, King City
Entry Fees: $850 – Early bird, before April 30, 2013; $1,000 – from May 1 to July 31 (or as space permits)
Fundraising: In addition to the registration fee, every dragon boat team registered in the Festival must also guarantee a minimum of $1,250 in pledges.
Registration fee includes:
- 2 free one-hour practice sessions at Seneca (parking passes not included)
- All necessary equipment, including lifejackets, paddles and boats
- Professional steersperson for race day (if required)
- 50% refund if registration is cancelled prior to May 31, 2013
- 25% refund if registration is cancelled between June 1, 2013 and June 30, 2013
- No refunds after July 1, 2013
- In the event of extreme weather conditions that result in the cancellation of races, there will be no refunds
- One day regatta
- 4 lanes x 250 m
- Kettle lake – all lanes equal
- Electronic start/finish with video replay
- 3 races per crew…qualifying round, semi-final and final
- The minimum race crew is 16 paddlers and a maximum of 20, plus 1 drummer and 1 steersperson. Of the crew members, a minimum of 8 female paddlers must be in the boat.
- Hull – 8 Great White North World Championship Dragon Boats
- Official boats of the IDBF 2001 and 2004 World Championships
- Paddles – Grey Owl 43″ – 51″
- A professional steersperson can be booked for practice sessions for a fee of $100 per hour
- Additional practice sessions may be purchased on a first-come first-serve basis for $75 per hour
- You can rent a team tent (10 feet x 10 feet) for race day for a cost of $150
A Special Thank You to our 2013 Sponsors:
2012 Dragon Boat Race Winners
Top Fundraising Team:
FM Global Inferno
Top Individual Fundraisers:
- Jeff Botosan from HUB-A-HUB-A (HUB Financial) and Mark Solomon (Team Seneca)
- Lora Kavanagh from State Farm Sea Monsters
- Teresa Carlisle from Seneca and Friends
Check out photos from the 2012 event!
Check out the race results!
2012 Dragon Boat Race Results
Thank you for your support. We hope to see you at the 2013 Dragon Boat Festival.